Please Donate to Relief Fund for Victims of Terrorism in Nigeria. CANAN is a 501c organization and your financial contributions are tax-deductible.
Checks can also be written out to CANAN and mailed to our office at the mailing address below:
Christian Association of Nigerian-Americans, CANAN
P.O. Box 1041
Bay Shore, NY 11706
The Nigerian Army on Friday tweeted that over 200 members of the dreaded Boko Haram sect have surrendered to troops.
Also, the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj. Gen. Yusha’u Abubakar, said after the capture of Banki, a Nigerian border town with Cameroon, on Thursday, over 200 members of the insurgency group willingly surrendered to the military.
Nigerian Army yesterday alerted the nation that some elders and leaders of Borno state and other States of the North East are working against the resolve by the military and other security agencies to ensure they bring the terrorists activities of Boko Haram group to an end by December this year in accordance with President Muhammadu Buhari’s directive.
These persons including top politicians are said to have gone to the extent of employing the services of Marabouts and other unethical means to reverse the gains made so far in the war against insurgency. Consequently, the Army warned that such elders, whose sinister machinations security agencies were aware of, risk arrest and will be dealt with in accordance with the law if caught.
A statement by the Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Colonel Sani Usman said, “the Nigerian Army wishes to inform the public and send a very strong and serious final warning to some prominent individuals and political groups who hail from Borno State in particular and North East generally, that there is information of plans by some highly placed individuals and political groups to undermine and scuttle the fight against terrorism and insurgency in this country.
The terror group killed her parents and her neighbors, according to Doctors Without Borders. Abeni grabbed her little brother, nephew and four neighbors and eventually made her way to the Dar es Salaam refugee camp in Chad. But her troubles are far from over.
Abeni hasn’t yet received her refugee card, so she and the children she arrived with aren’t receiving any food.
When the Nigeria Air Force gave us the news in a terse press statement about its bombardment of Boko Haram’s solar panels in Sambisa forest, they inadvertently brought a closure to a lingering issue in the minds of some Nigerians. Going from the fact that there was complete electricity-generating renewable energy system stationed in the heart of the dreaded Sambisa, we can now deduce that all these while those that had been alleging that Boko Haram had sophisticated network of collaborators and logistical support were not shouting just for the sake of noise making.
It will be recalled that in one of former President Goodluck Jonathan’s live media chats, he was asked by one of the journalists about the complaints by some locals in the North-East who told the authorities that they constantly witnessed aircrafts come to drop equipment and supplies to the insurgents right into their conclaves.
After 510 days of abduction, a ray of hope that the 219 Chibok girls may be alive after all came from none other than distinguished Senator Shehu Sani who disclosed to Sunday Vanguard that “they are alive”.
Senator Sani, who has been deeply involved in negotiations with Boko Haram and the Nigerian government in bids to rescue the girls and end terrorism in Nigeria, told Sunday Vanguard in an exclusive interview that he was certain the over 200 girls were alive and urged President Muhammadu Buhari to make efforts to rescue them before taking further steps to end insurgency.
African Defence Chiefs and Ministers of Defence are meeting in Bamako, Mali, to discuss the threat of terrorism in the African sub-region.
The Acting Director, Defence Information, Col. Rabe Abubakar, said in an electronic mail on Friday that the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Gabriel Olonisakin, had arrived Mali to participate in the crucial security summit.
He said that the CDS would use the opportunity of the meeting to brief the AU defence chiefs and ministers on the efforts of Nigeria and the other member-countries of the Lake Chad Basin Commission against the Boko Haram insurgency in the North East.
He said that the Defence chiefs and ministers would focus on the need to enhance security cooperation in addition to designing a peace and security structure for the Sahel-Saharan region in the ongoing summit.
The Acting Defence Spokesman said that the meeting specifically discussed the Boko Haram insurgency in Nigeria and the Al Shabab’s menace in Central Africa.
The United States of America has condemned the raids on villages in the North-East, especially the killings of villagers in Baanu, Nganzai Local Government Area of Borno State on Friday.
While extending its condolence to the families of those killed and the injured the US noted that the latest killings were just examples of violence being perpetrated by the terror sect.
This was contained in a statement by the spokesperson for the US Department of State, John Kirby, on Monday.
It said, “These recent raids are just additional examples of the horrific and indiscriminate violence that Boko Haram continues to use to terrorise civilians in the North-East of Nigeria and the Lake Chad Basin region.
Members of the Christian Association of Nigerian-Americans, CANAN receive the news of the passing away of Nigeria's Ambassador to the US, Prof Adebowale Adefuye with heavy hearts. However we are thankful to God that not only was he a believer, he lived a life worthy of praise to his maker.
Ambassador Adefuye was a true Nigerian patriot, an envoy par excellence, a notable scholar, an exemplary family man and an incredibly good-spirited human being. He would be sorely missed.
Adeebowale Ibidapo Adefuye, a historian who served as Nigeria’s ambassador to the United States, has died in Washington, DC, SaharaReporters just learned.
Authorities said on Friday that a boy, 14, had been arrested for spying on security procedures at Abuja's airport.
Security forces are working to prevent "any possible attack and to ensure adequate security at the airports" in response, the agency said.
It said agents are still searching for militants who were directing the boy.